Ive been reviewing how the knitting and crochet classes work, along with the demand for both beginners and improvers classes and have decided, based on the success of the Crochet Saturdays, the Knit and Natter session that I run on behalf of Solent Uni and the Creative Options Craft Sessions that a change in approach is needed.
Ive also had feedback about the bookings process via Eventbrite and requests from customers to pay cash and pay on the night where possible. In view of this the following changes have been made:
Ways to Pay
Via paypal by clicking on the relevant poster on the Event Page and filling in the registration form at the bottom so that I know which date(s) you are booking for.
BACS, Cheque or Cash – please email firstname.lastname@example.org for details
All classes must be paid for in advance, 50% non-refundable deposit guarantees a place.
I am planning to bring in a loyalty card for all those who attend classes and workshops – Id be interested to hear your thoughts about how this could work – 1 free class for every 10 attended? 1 half price class for every 5? Bring a friend for free? Ill pop a pole up on Facebook later this week
I’ll be overhauling the “Learn” page and creating a “Community brochure” with information about classes, work with community organisation, sample learning materials, photos etc. And a “At Home” Brochure for all individual, small group and private bookings, containing similar materials.
1. Mixed Ability Knit and Natter and Crochet and Chatter groups
There will be 2 groups running in Southampton, Crochet on a Monday – hopefully to start at the end of May, and Knitting on a Monday and are open to all.
The sessions will run as follows:
1. A mini weekly workshop on a topic of the groups choice
2. Free choice work on projects with support from me as needed
3. One to one teaching and support for beginners – start whenever you like
4. A monthly workshop, topic to be chosen by the class – you might want to focus on a specific skill or all work on a particular item at your own level e.g. Hat workshop could be anything from a beanie to more complicated stitch patterns or fun character hats using colour work techniques or knitting in the round for a seamless hat.
5. Practice materials available to all
6. A range of learning packs will be available at all sessions
7. Access to a facebook group with a library of all materials – or would you prefer password protected google docs?
8. Refreshments, including homemade cakes from Creative Options Baking Project
Sessions will initially be £8 per week, with a view to reducing the cost as numbers improve. Teens will be welcome at £4.50 per session.
2. Crochet at the Velmore
This will continue in its current form, with a themed monthly crochet workshop open to all:
1. Practice materials available to all
2. A range of learning packs will be available at all sessions
3. Access to a facebook group with a library of all materials – or would you prefer password protected google docs?
4. Refreshments, including homemade cakes from Creative Options Baking Project
Access to the facebook group will also be included
£12 per session for adults, £8 for children – 8 years plus, under 12s must be accompanied by an adult
These will be held at HobbyCraft Southampton, on the shop floor, in an allocated workshop space.
They are aimed at those who can already knit or crochet but who want to improve their skills by focusing on a specific topic. As the summer is coming we are focusing on Lace Knitting on 31st May and Lace Crochet on 5th July. So plenty of time for you to make something beautiful for your summer holiday!
The upcoming Hobbycraft Demonstrations will be focusing on the techniques I’ll be teaching so why not come along and find out more!
Later workshops will include socks and colour work.
The sessions will run from 10am to 3pm and are £25 (please bring lunch or use the restaurant in Haskins). They will include;
1. All materials from Hobbycraft – just bring a hook or needles
2. Comprehensive learning pack
3. Full tuition
4. The opportunity to design your own unique lace wrap or accessory
5. Access to Hobbycraft’s books and patterns so you can try them out before you buy
6. Access to the Facebook group and the learning library
7. Refreshments, including homemade cakes from Creative Options Baking Project
Over the coming weeks I’ll be sharing short posts about preparations for the various classes to give you a taster of what’s on offer!
I’ll also be including short updates on classes in the Newsletter – the next one will be out over the weekend!