Baby Shawl Diaries 4 – Here a bear, there a bear

It seems ages since I last updated you on the progress of the shawl, mainly because I haven’t had much time to blog.
My daughter is in the final stages of her pregnancy and has severe SPD – a condition that allows the pelvic girdle to relax and over stretch. So I am looking after my lovely grandson to help her out…. not long to go now though!

Here’s the progress…. the next band to be crocheted was filet lace teddies which I charted myself – when I have a neat copy with all the editing up to date I’ll share it and explain the process of making it so you can use the chart or design your own 🙂

image

The whole shawl so far with bears and sun edging

image

     Close up of bears

image

    Close up of sun edging

If you would like to have a go at the sun edging, here’s the chart

image

Next step is to add a final band of bunnies as the baby is due over Easter and a final picot edging and its done!

Advertisements

Creating Canvas – Crochet, Beads and Stitching

I have been experimenting for sometime with combining crochet and embroidery to create canvases to hang on the wall. Over the coming weeks I will share a series of images I have created in the last 6 months or so and talk about the inspiration for them.

As a starting point I thought it might be helpful to show how I take a finished piece of crochet and attach it to a canvas, ready to be displayed. This heart is a gift for my daughter to hang in her bedroom.

wpid-20150222_141937.jpg

Before creating the filling for the heart, I loosely attach a piece of fabric to a canvas and tack down the outer frame or cordonet. I then create a series of Irish crochet and freeform shapes to fill the shape, using crochet cotton and 1 and 1.5mm hooks. Once complete I fill in the gaps between the shapes and connect them together using a combination of irish and freeform lace filling stitches. I then worked a row of dc over the cordonet I laid down for the frame. The filling was then stitched to the frame and I worked a scalloped edging around the frame to complete. This left me with the piece above. The next stage was to sew in all ends and steam block the heart to shape, ready for mounting.

image

There was a slight flaw in the canvas and I wanted a black background so I used a piece of surplus black lining fabric to cover it. I started by cutting a rectangle of the lining material that covered both the front of the canvas and the frame at the rear

image

I pinned the lining material to the canvas at the back and stapled it down, one side at a time, ensuring I kept the fabric taut. I also made sure the I tucked a small hem under to keep things looking neat.

imageThe next step was to pin the heart to the front of the covered canvas. I would normally iron the backing fabric but my daughter preferred the texture of the unironed material. I also played around with using beads to add a bit of sparkle to the finished heart. I then whip stitched the heart into place, working very carefully and keeping it taut to achieve a good finish. I used an earring that had lost its friend form the large gem and bent the post and used some invisible thread to keep it in place. For the other beads I rifled through my collection of random beads and old bits of jewellery that a lady at church kindly gave me. I think they finish the piece nicely.

wpid-20150223_145530.jpg


wpid-20141201_122832.jpg