Through June and July and now into August I’ve been working on a lot of modern makes, all commissions, which is fabulous. And to be honest I’ve been so busy with my hook in the main, blogging has had to take a back seat. However as I’m “looking forward to” a weekend of enforced rest as the legs and balance have decided to conspire to make getting into the car a challenge too far, I thought it was high time to catch up with sharing what I’ve been up to. I’ve also got a historical challenge on the hook and another to plan and make for the end of August / early September but I think realistically I am going to have to do the June and July and the August and September makes as combined challenges, simply due to the number of commissions I have to d0.
And then came a huge school of Jellyfish, which I also taught to my Timebank Cradt Group. A friend shared a link to a lovely pattern by One Dog Woof and I adapted it a little by adding “skirts” to the jelly fish, some I also worked in parti-colours and one even had a Southampton football kit. I made 12 out of the 14 to order and 2 more for my grandsons. 3 were destined to be teacher gifts and were designed in collaboration with the customer, she wanted one to symbolise Good Luck for a teacher who was leaving so we came up with an idea of creating a 4 leafed clover; another for her son’s preschool teacher as he was graduating to Reception class, hence thescholar’s cap; and one for the Lollipop Lady, complete with lollipop sign. They’re great fun to make and I want to play around with making some mini ones for key rings, and some santa ones to hang on the tree.As a safety note, they are not suitable for young children and children should not take them to bed, as the tentacles pose a strangulation risk. I made the ones for my grandsons with shorter legs and instead of using safety eyes, sewed on larger buttons, to reduce choking risk.
And this blue flower for a special young lady, who worked very hard throughout Year 5 and was recognised as the Star Pupil for the Year.
And I’m currently working on 3 unicorns, a 1920s crochet project back for the travel and monochrome challenges for HSM, a BFG story sack and an elephant pillow. I’m also researching a lady’s accessory for the interwar period, ideally knitted as I’ve been crocheting everything of late, that can be made in red and has an interesting surface pattern… wish me luck!